- About Us
- Case Reports
- Your Rights
- File A Complaint
- Contact Us
DRAFT Minutes ----Iowa Civil Rights Commission- August 12, 2010 Meeting
I. Attendance-Eychaner; Morain; Witt; Gitchell; Chapman; Claypool
Guests: VISTA: Kaitlin Smith (new VISTA); Crystal Schrader
Kaitlin reviewed her projects: 1. Survey of local commissions; 2. preparation for training of staff; 3. Tax exempt status; 4. Assisting with admin of grants;
II. Approval of June, 2010 Minutes -item 4 -Rich asked about appeals on Botzko case. Ill. Possible discussion on Legislative Policy proposals for 2011-
2. Renda-Rick asked about Ombudsman's history.
3. Possibly, service animals. Nancy points out lack of available training for service animals
IV. Director's report:
2. ADA-Ralph discussed the unique nature of our Saturday and Monday events
3. VISTA-Ralph discussed the drop in VISTAs from 30 statewide to 13.
4. Personnel; questions asked about compliance with supervisory ratio; and
5. administrative rules updates --service animal
V. Commissioners' Reports and Subcommittee Reports
1. Commissioner Alicia Claypool-West DM schools -limited list of protected classes;
2. Commissioner Debbie Gitchell- VISTA in Ames -"service patch" garden using at risk kids and other volunteers and harvesting 180 pounds; great press; questions about local medical clinic asking questions about Hispanic origin -clinic then changed its policy.
3. Commissioner Rich Eychaner- Discussed the Calif. Appellate case on marriage equality. circuit.
4. Commissioner Mary Chapman- DMACC offered welding classes to men @Newton; now offering to women at Mitchelville, travelling to Newton; DOL commented on EEO poster needing to be in classroom, not just lunchroom
5. Commissioner Rick Morain- no report.
6. Commissioner Nancy Witt- Judicial Nominating Commission for First District-comments made about Posse Comitatus and billboards urging Iowans to vote against Iowa Supreme Court judges.