Civil Rights Quiz Answers 2011
1) Can boys and girls go to school together? YES
2) Is it nice to tease or laugh at someone who looks different than you? No
3) If someone cannot see, what animal could help him or her? Dog
4) Did Abraham Lincoln have a beard? Yes
1) Which one of these people was not a participant in the Civil Rights movement in the 1950s-1960s? D: Richard Nixon
2) Brown v. Board of Education is a landmark civil rights case. It ruled that: C: Separate schools for blacks and whites are unconstitutional.
3) Who said, “Let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation’s wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan – to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.”? C: Abraham Lincoln
4) During the Civil War, what leader of the Underground Railroad served as a spy for the Union Army? D: Harriet Tubman
5) In what northern state did a civil rights leader named Edna Griffin stage lunch counter sit-ins over a decade before the famous sit-ins in the South to protect racial discrimination? C: Iowa
6) In what year did Iowa pass its Safe School law that prohibits bullying in all schools? B: 2007
7) During the Holocaust, who were the primary targets of Hitler? C: Jews
8) What is not protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act? D: Obesity
1) John uses a wheelchair. He wants to purchase food at the new grocery store, but there are no automatic doors. Is this possible discrimination? D: Yes. He is being excluded due to his disability.
2) How many days do people have to file an employment discrimination complaint in Iowa? C: 300 days
3) Maria is blind. She has 2 dogs, 1 of which is a service dog. When she applies for an apartment, the landlord tells Maria there is a $200 pet deposit per pet. How much is Maria’s deposit? B: $200. She does not need to pay for the service dog.
4) When was the Iowa Civil Rights Act passed? B: 1965
5) What are the four top reasons why people feel there were discriminated against in Iowa last year? A: Sex, race, disability, retaliation
6) What year was the Emancipation Proclamation signed? B: 1963
7) Where did Rosa Parks refuse an order from the bus drive to give up her seat to a white passenger, sparking a national civil rights movement? C: Montgomery, Alabama
8) In order to file a discrimination complaint in Iowa or with the federal government, people must: D: Neither A (have an attorney) or B (pay a small fee per complaint)